Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Ride Around New Hampshire

It has been an eventful week, to say the least. I spent days getting ready, and then Sunday morning wandering about airports and sitting in the back of planes trying to arrive in New Hampshire in as little time as possible. Yay! I made it. Now I am sitting in the living room of a house my man lives in with several other folks... But I'm watching Big Bang Theory waiting till it's time for Dustin to get off work.

Monday was the best though. Dustin had duty so I didn't know what I was gonna do for two days... So Monday I drove. A while. I found the town of Hampton where I drove past several beaches and... the topic of this blog... an old antique shop. It is called the Drake Farm and they have an entire barn full of books. It was awesome. They also have a "Fairy Glen" inside the antique area where it's just fairy books and figurines and little girls' ribbon-y headbands and wands. It was adorable.

As I went to leave, the gentleman working stopped me to see if I had found everything I was looking for. I said I had merely stopped in because some of my friends had suggested I find some New England antique shops and look around... He asked where I was originally from, so of course I told him, and it turns out, he grew up in South Alabama, too. His brother was born in Birmingham and they lived near Montgomery. He then asked how long I had been here and if I had seen a lot yet. I hadn't to which he asked if I had the town map yet... I did not. Then this lovely man proceeded to give me a decorated map of Hampton, and then a few minutes later, another of Portsmouth and Kittery. He grabbed a sharpie and circled the best places to go, told me what was good where, and indicated the directions to get to those places. He told me where the best Mexican food was, the best ice cream (and what flavor and what type of cone to get), the nicest, not crowded beaches, and even when the places had a good bar (not that it helps me since I can't drink, but it was a sweet gesture anyway). He recommended so many places and was just so nice. It made my day. He told me he just had to take care of folks from back home.
Needless to say, it was a great way to start what had until then, been a very stressful time in a new place full of people I don't know. I am hoping I can encounter more of these people like him up here in the next few weeks. If they all turn out to be so kind, I will be doing well. :)
Later,
~Jazz~

No comments:

Post a Comment